Did you know that 9 out of 10 Americans suffer from headaches? There are many different types of headaches with a multitude of symptoms including achy, throbbing, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, numbness, blinding, moise, light and/or odor sensitivity, and more. The causes of headaches can include genetics (familial traits like migraine headaches,) stress or tension (probably on of the most common), environmental (allergies, seasonal, bright sunlight, loud noises, certain foods), behavioral (insomnia, excessive exercise, blood sugar problems, depression), and many more.
Environmental factors can “trigger” the onset of a headache. About 95% of headache suffers have “primary headaches” such as tension, migraine, or cluster headaches. The other 5% may be caused by other physical conditions or problems and the headache serves as a “warning sign” that something is wrong. The “key” in the 5% of potentially dangerous types of headaches is to pay attention to when there is a rapid onset (“…it came out of nowhere fast!”), if they are very intense, and are “different” from other headaches previously suffered. When nervous system symptoms occur that are unusual for that person, such as lapses in memory, the person is not responding, rapid onset of dizziness, balance disturbance, and/or a “blinding sharp pain,” these should trigger a warning sign that something specific and potentially dangerous my be causing the headache.
For the main 95% of headache sufferers, neck tension is a common complaint with the headache. Research supports that spinal manipulative therapy (SMT), the primary from of care utilized by chiropractors, is an effective option for tension headaches. A 2001 Duke University study reported that SMT resulted in almost immediate improvement for those headaches originating in the neck, had fewer side effects, AND longer-lasting relief of tension-type headaches compared to those receiving commonly prescribed medication. Another study found that SMT was effective, not only for relieving the headache, but had a sustained benefit AFTER it was discontinued after a 4-week treatment period. This was NOT seen in a similar tension-type group receiving prescribed medication treatment only.
Here is how to help yourself:
1. Improve your posture: Most of us are “chin pokers” and “slouchers.” The weight of the head pulls on the neck and upper back muscles and when held in that fixed position while driving, typing, watching TV, the static muscle tension can create a headache.
2. Take “mini-breaks” every 30-45 minutes from static fixed positions and perform some exercises. A good stretch is to reach over to the opposite side of the head and gently pull to stretch the sides of the neck. Repetitively, poke and tuck your chin in & out to stretch different muscle fibers. Then, add flexion, extension, and/or rotation to the same movement for about 10 sec./side. Try it now!
3. Avoid clenching your teeth and shrugging your shoulders. We do these things without being conscious that we’re even doing it. Those static loads play havoc with our neck muscles.
4. Drink plenty of water – at least 8 oz., 8X/day (more when exercising or pregnant). If you want to be more accurate, take your current weight and divide by 2. (Eg., 130# person = 65oz./day; 190# = 95oz./day).
5. If you have chronic headaches, COME SEE US! This is what we do, and it helps A LOT!
We realize that you have a choice in where you choose your healthcare services. If you, a friend or family member requires care for headaches, we sincerely appreciate the trust and confidence shown by choosing our services and look forward in serving you and your family presently and, in the future.